ASPB 2024 Travel Award Application
ASPB is competitively awarding a limited number of travel awards to attend Plant Biology 2024, which is scheduled to be held in Honolulu, HI from June 22-26, 2024. The travel award program aims to increase attendance of early career scientists at the annual meeting by providing funds for those in financial need. Broadening participation of underrepresented groups to increase diversity and inclusion among Plant Biology attendees is a primary goal. Undergraduate students, graduate students, postdocs, pre-tenure faculty, and professionals beginning their careers in plant science are also strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants must be members of ASPB; however U.S. residency is not a requirement to apply.
Applications must be submitted online. Letters of recommendation can be uploaded directly to the application by the advisor or professional mentor via a link they will receive once the applicant saves and finalizes their application. Alternatively, a letter of recommendation can be emailed to Sylvia Lee at email@example.com. The submission deadline for the application and both letters is Wednesday, November 15, 2023, (11:59 p.m. EDT). Applicants: Please request letters of recommendation with sufficient time so the writers can honor this firm deadline. The system will automatically email a request for a letter to the specified advisor/mentor only once the applicant selects finalize on their application.
Applicants must submit for review:
- an abstract of the research that they intend to submit for presentation at the Plant Biology meeting*
- a paragraph expressing why attending Plant Biology 2024 would enhance their career
- a primary advisor's letter of recommendation that includes the level of funds available, if any, for applicant travel
- a letter of recommendation from a professional mentor (other than the primary advisor)
- letters of recommendation must be uploaded to the application via a custom link that will be emailed to the designated advisor/mentor or emailed to Sylvia Lee
- a current resume or CV
Undergraduate, Graduate and Postdoc applicants must have their advisor and professional mentor submit both letters of recommendation.
Note: The system will automatically email a request for a letter of recommendation once the applicant selects finalize on the application.
Faculty-level and Professional applicants do not have to submit letters of recommendation; however, they are required to indicate current and pending support.
*PLEASE NOTE: Submission of an abstract as part of the Travel Award application is a distinct process from submitting an abstract for presentation at Plant Biology 2024. Abstracts submitted in support of an application for a travel award must be received by Wednesday, November 15, 2023 (11:59 p.m. EDT). To have your work considered for presentation during a concurrent symposium at Plant Biology 2024, you must submit your abstract through ASPB's abstract submission portal. Submit an Abstract | Plant Biology 2023 (aspb.org)
ELIGIBILTY: (Eligible applicants must meet this criteria)
- Must be members of ASPB. (Applicants may reside outside the U.S.)
Travel award selection criteria will be based (in this order) on:
- the science and the quality of the abstract
- the statement expressing how attending the meeting will have an impact on the applicant's career
- the strength of the two letters of recommendation (see above for letter instructions to undergraduates, postdocs, faculty and professionals)
Applicants who are selected to receive an award will be notified by email by early January 2024. Non-recipients will be notified shortly thereafter.
- Each award recipient will receive $575 travel stipend.
- Award recipients are offered a special rate to attend Plant Biology 2024. Registration details are shared in the award letter.
- Travel stipends are issued AFTER the award recipient pays the registration fee for the meeting.
Should unforeseen events prevent an award recipient from attending the meeting, the recipient must notify ASPB immediately and return the award so that a waitlisted applicant can use the funds to attend the meeting.