ASPB 2016 Travel Grants Award Application
ASPB is offering a limited number of $575 travel grants to attend the Plant Biology 2016 Annual Meeting which will be held this year in Austin, Texas from July 9-13, 2016. This program aims to increase attendance of early career scientists at the annual meeting by providing travel funds for those in financial need. Increasing diversity among the annual meeting attendees is another primary goal. Undergraduate students, graduate students, postdocs, faculty, and professionals beginning their careers in plant science are strongly encouraged to apply. US Residency is not a requirement to apply.
Applications must be submitted electronically (online). Letters of recommendation can be uploaded directly to the application by the advisor and professional mentor via a link they will receive once the application is saved and finalized. Alternatively, a letter of recommendation can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission deadline for the application and both letters is Monday, December 14, 2015 (11:59 p.m. EDT). Please request letters of recommendation with sufficient time so the writers can honor this firm deadline. The system will automatically send a request for a letter only once the applicant selects finalize on the application.
Applicants must submit for review by the Travel Grant Committee:
- an abstract of the research that they intend to submit for presentation at the annual meeting*
- a paragraph expressing why attending Plant Biology 2016 would enhance their career
- a primary advisor's letter of recommendation that includes the level of funds available, if any, for applicant travel
- a 2nd letter of recommendation from a professional mentor (other than the primary advisor)
- Letters of Recommendation must be uploaded to the application via a custom link or sent to Sylvia Lee
- a current resume or CV
Graduate and Postdoc applicants must have their advisor and professional mentor submit both letters of recommendation. Faculty and professional applicants do not have to submit letters of recommendation; however, they are required to indicate current and pending support.
*PLEASE NOTE: Submission of an abstract as part of the Travel Grant application is a distinct process from submitting an abstract for presentation at Plant Biology 2016 and must be received by Monday, December 14, 2015 (11:59 p.m. EDT). To have your work considered for a short oral minisymposium presentation at Plant Biology 2016, you must submit your abstract through the regular meeting abstract system by January 25, 2016.
Travel Grant selection criteria will be based (in this order) on:
- the science and the quality of the abstract
- the statement about how attending the meeting will have an impact on the applicant's career
- the strength of the two letters of recommendation (see above for letter instructions to postdocs, faculty and professionals)
- ethnic diversity
Applicants who are selected to receive a grant will be notified by email by Friday, January 22, 2016. Non-recipients will be notified shortly thereafter.
The Society has set aside $46,000 to support the Plant Biology Travel Grant Program.
- Grant recipients each are awarded a $575 travel stipend.
- Checks (or wires) for the stipend are issued AFTER the grant recipient registers for the meeting.
- Grant recipients qualify for the early-bird registration rate.
- Grant recipients are emailed a special registration code so that up to $200 of the Plant Biology 2016 registration fee is waived.
- The $25 Plant Biology 2016 abstract submission fee will still apply.
- Should unforeseen events prevent a grant recipient from attending the meeting, the recipient must notify ASPB immediately and return the grant so that another applicant can use the funds to attend the meeting.