ASPB 2020 Travel Grant Application
ASPB is offering a limited number of $575 travel grants to attend Plant Biology 2020 which will be held this year in Washington, DC from July 25-29, 2020. This program aims to increase attendance of early career scientists at the annual meeting by providing funds for those in financial need. Increasing diversity among Plant Biology attendees is another primary goal. Undergraduate students, graduate students, postdocs, pre-tenure faculty, and professionals beginning their careers in plant science are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants must be members of ASPB. US Residency is not a requirement to apply.
Applications must be submitted electronically (online). Letters of recommendation can be uploaded directly to the application by the advisor and professional mentor via a link they will receive once the application is saved and finalized. Alternatively, a letter of recommendation can be sent to email@example.com. Submission deadline for the application and both letters is Wednesday, December 4, 2019 (11:59 p.m. EDT). Please request letters of recommendation with sufficient time so the writers can honor this firm deadline. The system will automatically send a request for a letter only once the applicant selects finalize on the application.
Applicants must submit for review:
- an abstract of the research that they intend to submit for presentation at the annual meeting*
- a paragraph expressing why attending Plant Biology 2020 would enhance their career
- a primary advisor's letter of recommendation that includes the level of funds available, if any, for applicant travel
- a letter of recommendation from a professional mentor (other than the primary advisor)
- letters of recommendation must be uploaded to the application via a custom link or sent to Sylvia Lee
- a current resume or CV
Undergraduate, Graduate and Postdoc applicants must have their advisor and professional mentor submit both letters of recommendation.
Note: The system will automatically email a request for a letter of recommendation only once the applicant selects finalize on the application.
Faculty-level and Professional applicants do not have to submit letters of recommendation; however, they are required to indicate current and pending support.
*PLEASE NOTE: Submission of an abstract as part of the Travel Grant application is a distinct process from submitting an abstract for presentation at Plant Biology 2020 and must be received by Wednesday, December 4, 2019 (11:59 p.m. EDT). To have your work considered for presentation during a concurrent symposium at Plant Biology 2020, you must submit your abstract through the regular meeting abstract system. Abstract submission deadline is February 10, 2020.
ELIGIBILTY: (Eligible applicants must meet this criteria)
- Must be members of ASPB. (Applicants may reside outside the U.S.)
Travel grant selection criteria will be based (in this order) on:
- the science and the quality of the abstract
- the statement about how attending the meeting will have an impact on the applicant's career
- the strength of the two letters of recommendation (see above for letter instructions to undergraduates, postdocs, faculty and professionals)
- ethnic diversity
Applicants who are selected to receive a grant will be notified by email by Wednesday, January 29, 2020. Non-recipients will be notified shortly thereafter.
The Society has set aside $46,000 to support the Plant Biology Travel Grant Program.
- Grant recipients each are awarded a $575 travel stipend.
- Checks (or wires) for the stipend are issued AFTER the grant recipient registers for the meeting.
- Grant recipients qualify for the early-bird registration rate.
- Grant recipients are emailed a special registration promo code so that a portion of the Plant Biology 2020 registration fee is waived.
- There is a non-refundable abstract submission fee.
Should unforeseen events prevent a grant recipient from attending the meeting, the recipient must notify ASPB immediately and return the grant so that another applicant can use the funds to attend the meeting.